Last night the Wellington Theatre Awards had its annual celebration recognising the many talents of theatre based here in the capital.
Tēnei te mihi nunui ki te whānau whānui!
Our very own Mitch Tawhi Thomas (Senior Acting Tutor) and his team took home a whopping 5 awards for his play Pakaru.
· Lighting Designer of the Year: Jen Lal, Pakaru
· Set Designer of the Year: Sean Coyle, Pakaru
· New NZ Play of the Year: Mitch Tawhi Thomas, Pakaru
· Excellence Award for Performance Ensemble: Pakaru
· Production of the Year: Pakaru – Hāpai Productions
Director of Toi Whakaari (and Hāpai Productions); Tanea Heke attended the awards last night.
Tanea represented Nancy Brunning who received the Mayoral Award for Significant Contribution to Theatre. Nancy (one of our well known graduates) worked with Tanea as co-Director of Hāpai Productions and the two had been friends for many years.
We would also like to acknowledge other graduates who came away with awards last night:
· The Absolutely Positively Most Original Production: Captain Cook Thinks Again, Barbarian Productions (Jo Randerson)
· The Grant Tilly Actor of the Year: Jason Te Kare, Cellfish
· The Dorothy McKegg Actor of the Year: Carrie Green Cellfish
· The Campion Accolade for Outstanding Performance: Madeline McNamara, The Attitudes-Refusing Performance
· Director of the Year: Jo Randerson, Captain Cook Thinks Again
We are very proud of all the achievements and successes 2019 has brought to you all.
Ngā mihi nui ki ngā whānaunga o Toi Whakaari. Piri tahi mai hei oranga tonu te ahu whakaari.
photo cred: Julie Zhu Photography